Grand Theft Auto 5 is the UK's fastest selling game ever, moving more copies in its first week than the total launch week sales of all previous series entries combined.
Launch week sales were 2.4 times greater than GTA 4's and bettered the launch week of Call of Duty: Black Ops, the UK's previous record holder, by almost 250,000 copies.
After just five days on sale, Grand Theft Auto 5 became the 24th biggest selling title of all time in the UK.
It's already become the eleventh best selling Xbox 360 game ever and the tenth biggest PS3 title. The Xbox 360 version accounted for 57 per cent of launch week sales and the PS3 edition the remainder.
[UPDATE: CVG retail sources suggest the game sold more than 2.2 million copies in its launch week (that figure is up-weighted by 10 per cent to allow for sales not monitored by Chart-Track, such as various indie stores).]
Worldwide GTA 5 sales generated over $1 billion in just three days, according to Rockstar.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 debuted at No.2 on the UK chart for the week ended September 21, while hardware bundling helped The Last of Us jump from No.27 to No.3.
Saints Row 4 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist rounded off the top five, while 3DS exclusive Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning debuted at No.22.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10
- 01. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- 02. Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (Konami)
- 03. The Last of Us (Sony)
- 04. Saints Row 4 (Deep Silver)
- 05. Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Ubisoft)
- 06. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
- 07. Diablo 3 (Blizzard)
- 08. Disney Infinity (Disney)
- 09. Aliens: Colonial Marines (Sega)
- 10. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Square Enix)