Metro Last Light debuted at No.1 on the UK all formats all prices chart for the week ended May 18.
The 4A Games developed shooter knocked fellow Deep Silver title Dead Island: Riptide down to No.2 following three weeks at the chart summit, although the sequel to Metro 2033 was unable to match the first week sales of its predecessor, which debuted at No.5 back in March 2010, according to Chart-Track.
FIFA 13 rose to No.3 following retailer promotions, 3DS exclusive Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity was the second-highest new entry at No.4, while Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 fell three places to No.5.
Familiar faces rounded off the top ten, with Tomb Raider coming in ahead of The Walking Dead, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Assassin's Creed 3 and Bioshock Infinite.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (previous week):
- Metro: Last Light (Deep Silver)
- Dead Island: Riptide (Deep Silver)
- FIFA 13 (EA)
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Nintendo)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
- Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
- The Walking Dead (Telltale)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner)
- Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft)
- BioShock Infinite (Take-Two)
In our Metro: Last Light review we said 4A's sequel is "gruelling, but worth the effort" and "a refreshing change from more traditional first-person shooters".
If you're still on the fence about whether to pick up the game, you might want to check out this video of the opening mission.