Gears of War Judgment has debuted at No.1 on the UK all formats all prices chart for the week ended March 23.
The game only sold a quarter of the launch week copies managed by 2011's Gears of War 3, but that was enough to end Tomb Raider's two week spell at the top of the rankings.
The Lara Croft reboot slipped to No.2 ahead of the week's second highest new entry, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.
Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate Edition debuted at No.7, with the 3DS version generating 55 per cent of sales and Wii U edition the remainder. Chart-Track said the Wii U game accounted for almost 50 per cent of the value generated by all software for the console last week.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (previous week):
- Gears of War Judgment (Microsoft)
- Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Activision)
- FIFA 13 (EA)
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 (City Interactive)
- God of War: Ascension (Sony)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom)
- SimCity (EA)
- Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)