Sony has released full details of Vita firmware update 2.00, which rolled out in the States yesterday and hits Europe today.
As well as new and revised applications, features and settings, the firmware updates Vita's operating system to include the latest security patches.
The update's required to use the PlayStation Network and some other features of the system. Here are all the details:
- The "near" application has been redesigned to improve its usability.
- The display speed of Web pages has been improved.
- You can now use a pointer to open links.
- You can now tweet the currently displayed page.
- You can now open the browser without pausing playing a game.
- Usability has been improved.
- You can now trasfer data by connecting to a computer using Wi-Fi on the PS Vita system.
- You can now copy an entire folder of photos and video to your PS Vita system from your PS3 system or your computer.
- You can now display weather information on the map for areas where it is available.
- The Email application has been added. You can start the application from the home screen.
- You can now set how you will be notified separately for each application and feature.
- The number of applications you can control using the buttons on the PS Vita system has been increased.
- [Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically] has been added as a feature under [Network] > [Wi-Fi Settings].
- [Avatar], [Panel], [Online ID], [About Me] and [My Languages] under [PlayStationNetwork] > [Account Information] have been moved to the newly added category [Profile].
- [Twitter] has been added as a feature under [PlayStationNetwork].
- Turkish has been added as an option under [Language] > [System Language] and [Language] > [Input Languages] > [Keyboards / Add Terms].
- [PlayStationMobile] has been added as a feature under [System].
- [Assign Touchscreen] and [Assign Rear Touch Pad] have been added as features to [Controller Settings] in the PlayStation (PS one Classic) format software menu.
- [Custom] has been added as an option under [Other Settings] > [Screen Mode] in the PlayStation (PS one Classic) format software menu.
- You can now delete screenshots or songs created in PSPGame software.
- You can now display activities on the LiveArea screen for Friends. The LiveArea screen is displayed by flicking the screen up to let you communicate in real time with your friends.
- You can now write a comment to send with a friend request.
- You can now report an inappropriate message when you receive one with a friend request.
- Tap Options > [Submit Grief Report] on the profile screen to report.
- More varieties of file formats (TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG and MPO) are now supported as attachments to messages.
- When trophy information is automatically synchronized with PlayStationNetwork servers, it is now synchronized in the background. You can perform other operations during the synchronization.
- You can now play a video with 1080 resolution.
- You can now play the video in slow motion.
- You can now skip chapters.
- Screenshots are now saved in the background. You can perform other operations while saving the screenshot.
- In the lists under Music and Videos, you can now scroll and display truncated title names to view the whole text.
- Do not download or install the update using data other than the official update data provided online or on a PS Vita card by Sony Computer Entertainment. Do not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update data from a different source, by a different method, or on a PS Vita system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS Vita system might not operate properly and might not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions can void the PS Vita system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
- This update is for PS Vita systems purchased in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Gulf states and India. Do not update your PS Vita system using this website if you purchased your system outside of these regions. There is no guarantee of proper operation with models sold outside of these regions. For details about PS Vita systems purchased outside of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Gulf states and India, please visit the website for your region.
- Do not turn off the power or remove the memory card for the PS Vita system during the update process. Interrupting the update can cause a system malfunction.
- It might not be possible to start the update if the battery charge level is low.
- The power button and the PS button do not function during the system update process.
- You might not be able to use some applications or content without first updating the system software.